Breastfeeding- My Story & Online Resources


To mark the end of World Breastfeeding Week, Moby wrap hosted a twitter party on August 7th that included lactation consultants and other breastfeeding experts who were available to provide participants with resources, support, and encouragement. This was the first twitter party I had ever participated in so, I found it a little overwhelming at first. (Kind of like my breastfeeding experience.) However, there were a bunch of really great resources that they shared throughout the party. I tried to catch as many as I could to share with all of you! I know as a first time mom who had a lot of trouble breastfeeding at the beginning many of these resources would have been helpful.



Here's my story: 


My son was born on his due date via c-section after 17.5 hours of a failed induction. This was not what I had planned in terms of how I wanted my first childbirth experience to go. I knew that even if I couldn't have a natural birth, I was going to breastfeed. 


Before and after the c-section various medical professionals asked if I was going to breastfeed, my response was an enthusiastic, "Yes!". I knew this was written in my chart and marked on my baby's bracelet. However, after the c-section no one came to show me how to latch him on. So, I sat with my new baby, numb from the waist down and waited...


They took the baby to the nursery to get cleaned up.  They said I could try to latch him on when he returned. Well, at 2 AM my perfect little boy returned, I asked the nurse if she could help me. She never returned. 



The shift changed. I asked the new nurse if she could help me. She said she would put me on the list to be seen by a lactation consultant (LC). Mind you, now almost 12 hours had gone by since my little one was born and he hadn't been latched on. 



Finally, my husband got angry because time was passing, our little one wasn't being fed and we were getting anxious. Around 3PM, the first LC came in and gave me a lecture about how new babies don't need to eat, I wasn't making milk yet anyway, and I should be doing skin-to-skin. This was the first time I had heard about skin-to-skin. So, she puts him on my chest and we sat. Time kept passing and no one was helping me. So, out of desperation we gave our little one a bottle. 



The next morning, another LC came in and yelled at me for giving our LO a bottle. Once again, never showing me how to get him to latch on, she put him on my chest and we sat. Around 11 AM, I heard an announcement over the speaker that there was going to be a breastfeeding class. My husband encouraged me to go. However, this meant I had to walk to another wing of the hospital, on my own, pushing my baby, after just having a c-section. I was determined to breastfeed so, I went. 



At that class, I met my angel, an LC named Graham, who got it! She understood my concern, my frustration, and provided me with the encouragement I needed. She spend two hours with me, working on getting my perfect little one to latch on. I wasn't easy but, we got it. She provided me with a feeding plan and a pump to help bring in my milk since I still had a few days in the hospital. She taught me how to use a nipple shield to get my little one to  latch on better. This was exactly what I needed! 



Needless to say, it was smooth sailing after that. My little one gained weight. Eats like a champ. I couldn't love breastfeeding any more. It is not always easy. In fact, it is one of the greatest challenges I've ever had but, I know that any amount of breastmilk I can give my son is better than none. I take each feeding one by one. I get encouragement from my husband (my biggest cheerleader), my cousin (a seasoned bfing mom), and the internet community. Breastfeeding has allowed me to bond with my little one in an unimaginable way and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I am a proud breastfeeding momma! 

Right now, my son is 2.5 months old and thriving! I've fed him in the store, the park, and the car. I pump occasionally using a double electric pump so, my husband can give my son a bottle every now and then. At his two month check up he had gained around four pounds since birth.  He is happy and healthy! I couldn't be more in love! 






General Information: 



























Tales from Breastfeeding Bloggers:








Pumping:







Low Milk Production: 





Medication and Breastfeeding:  






Working and Breastfeeding:

















world breastfeeding week blog round-up
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. That's so awful that not one person knew how important it was to latch your little one on within an hour of birth. How frustrating when nobody listened to you! I'm so glad you found help and got through it.

    So great that you put all of these resources together. I hope that they help somebody out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same challenges after my c-section too, but unfortunately our little guy never got the hang of latching (even after having his tongue tie clipped, meeting with LC's every. single. day. at the hospital and even beyond the hospital stay, etc.). I'm so glad it's been a wonderful experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, it stinks that you had absolutely no support in the beginning, so glad you got thru it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a crappy hospital staff! I'm sooo glad that the class was there for you though. Good job momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you did a wonderful job, touching story thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Thanks for inspiring others.

    Stopping by from Mommy Brain Mixer. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can. Look forward to reading more!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey lady!! I just found your cute blog via the mingle, and I'm your newest follower! I'd also love to have you check out a fabulous Triple Giveaway I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much!
    xo

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/08/triple-winner-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. following via GFC from the mommy brain mixer! Would love a follow back.
    http://thoughtsoffluff.blogspot.com/2012/08/talk-it-up.html

    Sorry about your rough time with the birth and starting nursing. Glad you powered through it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear that you finally got the support and information that you need and baby is healthy and thriving. I know that sometimes what we dream or fantasize happening isn't exactly what ends up happening. And in your case, it has certainly made you an advocate of breastfeeding and resource for other moms. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete