Making Your Own Baby Food

I have always enjoyed cooking therefore the thought of making my own baby food has excited me from the time I found out I was pregnant. Friends of ours had a little boy about six months before Charlie was born. They made their own baby food and it just seemed so easy. Since I am home and have the time to do it, I might as well!

(If you've been reading my previous posts, you know I'm a bit of a library addict.) I checked out a great book from the library called Top 100 Baby Purees. It is a great way to jump into making your own baby food. So far, we have introduced avocado (no-cook), sweet potatoes (boil and mash), apple sauce (heat w/ 2 tbsp of water for 4 min. and mash), and pears (heat for 4 min. and mash). SUPER EASY! You really don't need any special equipment to make your own baby food. You can use your blender/immersion blender/bullet/fork to mash.

SUPER ECONOMICAL! We buy the same produce we would buy for ourselves. The little market in town has fruit and veggies 10% off every Tuesday. The little packages of baby food cost more than one piece of fruit and yield less in terms of meals. Not to mention the real fruit and veggies will never go to waste because someone will eat them! (I can't say that I would baby food out of an already opened jar but, apple sauce/sweet potatoes/avocado will definitely get eaten!)

Some "Make Your Own Baby Food" Websites:
*Wholesome Baby Food - MY FAVE!
*Dr. Sears On Make Your Own Baby Food
*Baby food recipes
*Baby-led Weaning

1 comment:

  1. I intended to make baby food for Lucia but I've only done it two or three times. Usually she just eats what we eat. We've never bought a single jar of baby food (what a waste of money!!!) So far, she's liked everything we've given her but her favorite is cheese enchiladas! (She also really liked quinoa casserole.)

    ReplyDelete