The First Day of School

Today is the first day of school for my students. They will only come in to get their textbooks and listen to a refresher course on the rules. The middle school kids will come in, in the evening with their parents to get their textbooks, meet their teachers, and learn some of the rules. The Freshmen go on retreat off campus for the day. Last year, I led the retreat with a friend of mine and we had a great time. I hope both the leaders and the kids have a fantastic day this year!

I love the first days of school because everyone is excited to see what the year has in store. Everything is new and clean. The kids are anxious to use their new school supplies. They are geared up to learn. It's a wonderful time of the year.

It's like Christmas for teachers. There are all kinds of sales in teacher stores. Sales popping up everywhere! A friend of mine was so excited that she was able to make it in and out of a local teacher store in less than an hour spending less than her budgeted amount of money. The parking lots of the these store are packed! Despite the craziness, there is a buzz in the air! Everyone is feeding off of the energy. I just love it!

In You've Got Mail, Tom Hanks says, "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils." Isn't that such a sweet idea? I'm thinking about making something like that for my classroom this first week of school. 



No comments:

Post a Comment