Kitchen Tales

As "He" mentioned in his post, I've been cooking an awful lot! At the end of a frustrating day at school, it is great to see something through from start to finish.

Presently, the only cookbook we have at the apartment is the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book - Limited Edition. I've been finding many fun things to cook.
Two of the recipes are Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken and Oven-Fried Pork Chops.

The Fettuccine Alfredo was super easy to make! I decided to add grilled chicken to give it a little more substance. I cooked the grilled chicken separate from the pasta on our George Forman Grill with a little bit of salt and petter. Yum!
Generally when I cook, I like to have enough for leftovers.

The Oven-Fried Pork Chops were a new experience for me. I went to the "new" grocercy store and found some pork chops on sale so I decided I would give it a whirl. I generally stick with "Italian-stlye" cooking. They came out great but, anything cooked in butter is tasty!! (I felt very Paula Deen.)

We have some leftover ham so I think tonight it will be Baked Macaroni and Cheese with ham from Southern Living.

Golden Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked macaroni)
2 cups milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon onion salt
2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 1/2 cups) and divided*
1 cup soft breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Preparation

For a divine main dish, stir in chopped cooked ham before baking, and then sprinkle top with chopped cooked bacon before serving.
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.

Place milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously 1 minute.

Stir together flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.

Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish or 2 (11-inch) oval baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese; drizzle evenly with melted butter.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

*20 ounces loaf pasteurized prepared cheese product, shredded or cut into small cubes, may be substituted. Omit breadcrumbs if using prepared cheese product.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese.

Louise Floyd, Potters Station, Alabama, Southern Living, JANUARY 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment